Start a new topic

Automatic Restart upon installation

So I just installed Plays.TV and it, without asking or warning me it restarted my PC.

Not cool.

I never stated that we didn't have enough information. Since your solution post to now, there have been several changes to the client. I reported the error and your solution the day you made it, but received no reply. However, the engineering team could have easily have created a bug ticket, coded it and implemented it into the client without my knowledge. 

Because this was a very small amount of users that were affected, it was difficult to determine whether the issue was even still around; both on an Engineering side ("Are users still having problems with X and Y since we updated to Z?") or on a CS side ("No one in 2+ months have reported X or Y issue").

So more than likely, it wasn't implemented yet. I'll see if I can't get an answer.

Guys. I provided detailed information on what caused the restart as well as a suggestion on how to fix it. 

Don't give us the "we don't have enough information" nonsense. 

We can't fix what we can't see unfortunately. No one in our office has recreated this issue, and we haven't had too much communication with the users that have had it. If you'd like to help, we could use client logs after it happens. But unfortunately, because it happens after an installation, there typically is no logs to be found.

Does it happen...

• on a fresh install?
  • any install?
  • when the client updates?

It unfortunately happen to me too. i don't know if it's a bug with installation or something. And it seems like they still did not fix it

Sweet - all I hoped for

I'll mention this to our engineering team because I know we've been working with the vc_redist package recently. I appreciate all the info!

1 person likes this

Yep. Had me worried really.
Checked Eventlog:
The process C:\Program Files (x86)\Raptr Inc\PlaysTV\msvc2015\vc_redist.x86.exe (DREADNOUGHT) has initiated the restart of computer DREADNOUGHT on behalf of user DREADNOUGHT\*** for the following reason: Application: Installation (Planned)

Reason Code: 0x80040002

Shut-down Type: restart

Comment: 

I guess it calls that package without /qn which causes this.
Even if the package itself doesn't need a reboot, the installer checks if a restart is pending and may automatically restart then.

I once administrated Microsoft SMS and rebooted the entire CAD department because of it. 
The package itself didn't need a reboot, so I didn't add it, but another one was on pending reboot and... I pissed off a lot of people with it. 

That's odd, I've never seen or heard of Plays.tv restarting your PC upon installation. 

How did you acquire the install exe? From the download page?

Login to post a comment