Start a new topic

Forced instant restart when installing?!

Hi, not sure if it's a bug/oversight or a planned dick move but please remove the forced immediate restart during install and add an option to restart later when we want - like every single other application. I lost a few hours of work because of this...

Seems like it's a bug/oversight. Plays.tv typically doesn't require a restart after installing itself. 

Was this a manual install that you made from downloading the client on our website, or did you somehow get Playstv through a different method?

Downloaded from the site.

Looking at it from the event manager I get this:

Event ID 1038:

Windows Installer requires a system restart. Product Name: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219. Product Version: 10.0.40219. Product Language: 0. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Type of System Restart: 2. Reason for Restart: 1.

and this:

Event ID 1029:

Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219. Restart required. The installation or update for the product required a restart for all changes to take effect. The restart was deferred to a later time.

After that I get logs of apps getting shut down. It's weird as it says the "restart was deferred to a later time" while it clearly wasn't.

Ah okay, then that is the reason. It's not our client by itself, but the required Visual C++ Redist files that are required for it to work. Most people already have them installed, but it can vary based on several factors. Either way, I'll let our engineering team know. I apologize for the inconvenience of losing some work.

Login to post a comment